Going low carb is a great way to manage weight, reduce blood sugar or overhaul eating habits. But even the staunchest Keto followers get a carb craving every once and a while. To curb the cravings, here is our guide on the best low carb pasta alternatives. From store bought to homemade options, we’ll cover all the bases and even provide an excellent low carb pasta noodle recipe!
Store Bought Pasta Alternatives
The trick with sourcing a low carb pasta option boils down to the ingredients. Are the noodles made using a low-carb ingredient list? Here are some options to consider:
Almond or Coconut Flour Noodles
The best low carb store bought pastas are made using almond or coconut flour (or a combination of both). These noodles mimic regular wheat flour noodles pretty closely and are a favorite among Keto fans. Most almond or coconut flour noodles come in at about 4-5g of net carbs per serving. That’s a small take from the 20-25g carbs in a typical pasta serving.
Shirataki Noodles (aka Miracle Noodles) are another great option to consider. These white, slightly gelatinous noodles require very little prep—just a pre-rinse before heating and serving. Made using a specialized (and Keto approved) plant grown in Asia, these noodles work perfectly in stir fries and soups. The best part about Shirataki Noodles is that they are basically carb free and calorie free.
Last, but certainly not least, are Kelp Noodles. These semi-transparent noodles are similar in style to Shirataki, made without the addition of flour or starch. This is another nice alternative for Asian-style noodle dishes like Pad Thai and Pho.
Homemade Pasta Alternatives
We love making noodles from scratch! And that love is not lost when it comes to low-carb pasta options. Spiraled vegetables make for great low carb noodle alternatives! We’ll also provide a recipe you can use at home to help you make a more traditional tasting low carb noodle.
Veggie Based Noodles
Keto approved vegetables make some of the best noodles! And who doesn’t love playing around with a spiralizer! Here are some of our personal favorites along with a few cooking tips for each.
- Zucchini and Yellow Squash are perfect contenders for spiralized noodles. These tasty low-carb options are fast, easy, and cook up nicely for any Keto recipe. Simply bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the spiralized squash for 2 minutes. Then toss the cooked ‘noodles’ with your favorite sauce!
- Eggplant is a great substitute for lasagna noodles. No need to cook ahead of time either! Layer slices of eggplant with your favorite filling and bake. Viola! Easy peasy.
- Spaghetti Squash is certainly appropriately named! Roasting a split squash is the best way to go. After the interior is tender just scrape with a fork, releasing the thin flavorful threads, and top with your favorite Tantillo Foods imported pasta sauce.
- Cucumbers are another spiralized sensation. This is a great option when making cold, pasta-like side dishes for picnics and backyard BBQs.
Homemade Low Carb Pasta Recipe
Here is our favorite low carb pasta recipe that’s easy to make at home!
Makes 70oz, or 4 servings
- 3/4 cup fine almond flour
- 1/4 cup fine coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons of water
- Place almond flour, coconut flour, salt, xanthan gum, egg and apple cider vinegar in a food processor. Pulse until blended. If the dough is really dry, add in a teaspoon of water at a time until blended.
- Lightly dust a clean work surface with almond flour and begin kneading your dough for roughly 5 minutes, or until shiny and firm. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour (3 days maximum).
- Portion the dough into quarters, roll and shape. Small shapes work best: farfalle, cavatelli, orecchiette, ziti or penne. Once pasta is made, it can be cooked immediately or frozen.
*This pasta recipe should be made and shaped by hand. It does not work well in a pasta machine or extruder!
Cooking Your Noodles:
Butter is magic with these noodles. Simply melt 2oz of butter over medium heat in a large skillet, add in your noodles, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the noodles turn a golden yellow. Let rest on a paper towel before tossing with your favorite sauce or adding your favorite toppings.
Tantillo Foods Pasta Sauces—The Perfect Accompaniment!
The best thing about going low carb? Pasta sauces! Yes, pasta sauces are Keto approved! Tantillo Foods has four fantastic imported pasta sauces to choose from!
Pomodoro Pasta Sauce
Arrabiata Pasta Sauce
Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
Vodka Pasta Sauce